View Single Post

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM

I think Oliver has his heart in the right place and I generally agree with his theme. We often see young white mothers in the grocery stores and malls with their biracial chldren. While I seldom see any evidence of the black father, I can symphasize with the mother who has elected to have a biracial child given the stygma that often accompanies such relationships. In my case, I try to compliment and encourage the mother while avoiding any patronizing remarks. The last thing I want to do is to make the mother feel the least bit ashamed or degraded.

Perhaps if the photos Oliver is referring to were posted in a family-type website, devoid of any "adult" attributes, that would be very acceptable and perhaps might generate a support website many such mothers need.

I know in my own town, there are any number of black-pregnant white girls in the high school every year. Most end up aborting their fetuses (sadly), but a few elect to carry them to term....a brave, courageous decision in my opinion.