Welcome to the Interracial Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Member Login:

Were those 'Mandingo' slave novels based on reality?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Default Were those 'Mandingo' slave novels based on reality?

Does anyone know if there is any evidence of slave breeding plantations as depicted in those novels? I for one believe it was pure fantasy and unlikely to happen in reality. To begin with it would take nearly 20 years for a new generation to develop, unlike breeding horses, cattle, sheep dogs etc. That would be too long plus it would be doubtful there would be enought numbers. Secondly the aim of any plantation slave holder is for passive or docile captives, but that was very difficult, going by the revolts that took place and sabotage or slow work.
So the answer would be to continuing importing new captives who were new to the country did not speak the language than using enslaved blacks who grew up in the plantations.

This myth of 'breeding' always comes up in debates about sports and athletics, especailly when it is trumpetted, how no white athlete has ever completed the 100M in under ten seconds.( I believe this year someone did?? Please enlighten me if i am wrong.) The muscle twitch gene is behind the black runners success in sprints. Since the top sprinters are from America and the caribbean and not west africa, it is said slavery had something to do with it, so this myth of 'breeding' came up. I believe Hitler said something similar folowing Jesse Owens winning 4 golds at the Berlin Olympics, he claimed the black man had an in built advantage over white runners. When it later came out that the Nazis practiced eugenics and strived to create a new 'pure aryan race', which failed anyway, creative writers after the war started writing about slave breeding plantations in the US.

Another point which shoots the 'breeding' myth to bits, is that other sports like cycling has sprinting and long distance aspects to it, which would favour black athletes. However no black cyclists has ever won the tour de france. That sport is dominated by white athletes also skiing, swimming, rowing, weight lifting etc. Yet no one asks questions whether white athletes are better equipped at them like blacks are supposed to be in sprinting.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flojons View Post
Another point which shoots the 'breeding' myth to bits, is that other sports like cycling has sprinting and long distance aspects to it, which would favour black athletes. However no black cyclists has ever won the tour de france. That sport is dominated by white athletes also skiing, swimming, rowing, weight lifting etc. Yet no one asks questions whether white athletes are better equipped at them like blacks are supposed to be in sprinting.
I often see folks mentioning this and there is a pretty simple reason blacks don't even partake in those events you mention, they are not exposed to them growing up.

White children join swim clubs, their parents take them to meets and they are part of the culture of swimming from a very young age.

How many black cyclists have you ever seen, blacks don't grow up riding bikes in an organized fashion with an eye to one day turning professional and riding on the European pro circuit.

This would be like saying why are blacks not good at Nascar or Formula 1, well if they are not taking part in those events while growing up, it stands to reason we will see the patterns we see.

The same concept applies for skiing, rowing, weightlifting, etc. Blacks are not growing up and participating int those sports.

Most of the best skiers are Nordic, because they grow up in the cold weather environment and its part of their culture for ages. Winter sports in Scandinavia is akin to football season in America, its that important to them.

If blacks were competing in those sports in representative numbers then a fair assessment could be made but they simply don't because they don't grow up often in an environment that emphasizes those events or provides an opportunity to learn those sports.

Its simply a matter of opportunity, being shaped by cultural interests, resources and environment.

Last edited by GQ Brotha; 12-19-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM

I see your point. It is of course a lot to do with culture which is why certain groups dominate certain sports. In west africa football is the main sport which is why nigeria does not dominate sprinting like the US and Caribbean runners. It is said that high altitude in Ethiopia and Kenya is one reason why they dominate running. Mexico and Bolivia and other parts of south america are high altitude, but they best known for football and boxing, which is part of the culture in mexico and south america, whereas running and not boxing or football is the main sport in Ethiopia and kenya

But this so called 'black gene' theory always comes up in the said sports like running and boxing etc where blacks dominate. Then the said argument about slave breeding comes into it. Were the athletes who do well in rowing, weightlifting cycling, swimming better bred from others which is they they dominate the event? Even before the doping scandals come to light, i never heard of selective breeding of swimmers, weightlifters etc to ensure the the fittest did well.

Does this argument just comes down to plain stereotyping once again?

Thanks Brothers For Your Discussion
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Smile Thanks Brothers For Your Discussion

I am very thankful and please that you had & may continue to discuss a historical, sociological and biological series of horrendous events involving our black forebears and the insanity of a 'nut' who lead a nation to self destruction.

Yes, the white master did breed owned slaves & slaves of other slavers as away to build a stronger stock of 'property' to carry out his economic but inhumane existence. This was a cheaper method than going to regional auctions to buy newly arrived african slaves at the higher price. When the raped slave woman delivered her baby that child was automatically ..born into slavery...but a free property to the bastard slave owner... & not his/her parents. Or, the child may be in a rotation to another master who supplied the female or male slave, if two plantation was involved.

I appreciate you brothers polite discussion in a intelligent manner because it shows that black men... who may also like to get their freak-on...are also more than just a nameless... 'stiff dick or pleasure tool'... made for the pleasure of white couples or single females.

Thanks.

Last edited by billydee; 12-20-2010 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flojons View Post
I see your point. It is of course a lot to do with culture which is why certain groups dominate certain sports. In west africa football is the main sport which is why nigeria does not dominate sprinting like the US and Caribbean runners. It is said that high altitude in Ethiopia and Kenya is one reason why they dominate running. Mexico and Bolivia and other parts of south america are high altitude, but they best known for football and boxing, which is part of the culture in mexico and south america, whereas running and not boxing or football is the main sport in Ethiopia and kenya

But this so called 'black gene' theory always comes up in the said sports like running and boxing etc where blacks dominate. Then the said argument about slave breeding comes into it. Were the athletes who do well in rowing, weightlifting cycling, swimming better bred from others which is they they dominate the event? Even before the doping scandals come to light, i never heard of selective breeding of swimmers, weightlifters etc to ensure the the fittest did well.

Does this argument just comes down to plain stereotyping once again?
I think all of it is more cultural, a kind of specialization based on climate and environment, plus opportunity.

Jamaicans didn't always win sprint medals at the Olympics, its only after they started getting the right training and organization that they became world renowned.

Keep in mind it is blacks in America and Jamaica that do well at the sprinting events, with other isolated nations here and there like Trinidad, Canada or the United Kingdom.

Blacks from other nations don't do as well in the sprints because some of those nations aren't as organized in their training facilities and such. The other Caribbean nations still lag.

I think if blacks had grown up in cold weather climates and their culture emphasized skiing, ski jumping, etc, some would be just as good in those events if they grew up with it at a young age.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydee View Post
I am very thankful and please that you had & may continue to discuss a historical, sociological and biological series of horrendous events involving our black forebears and the insanity of a 'nut' who lead a nation to self destruction.

Yes, the white master did breed owned slaves & slaves of other slavers as away to build a stronger stock of 'property' to carry out his economic but inhumane existence. This was a cheaper method than going to regional auctions to buy newly arrived african slaves at the higher price. When the raped slave woman delivered her baby that child was automatically ..born into slavery...but a free property to the bastard slave owner... & not his/her parents. Or, the child may be in a rotation to another master who supplied the female or male slave, if two plantation was involved.

I appreciate you brothers polite discussion in a intelligent manner because it shows that black men... who may also like to get their freak-on...are also more than just a nameless... 'stiff dick or pleasure tool'... made for the pleasure of white couples or single females.

Thanks.
LOL, no doubt, I have a degree in History, Anthropology and Linguistics and speak 4 other languages, (French, German, Italian, Portuguese), I also love different cultures.

As an added plus I am attracted to white women, host of reasons, but the simplest is I just find them attractive.

I love their long hair, skin tone and how it contrasts against mine, I love it when they are well spoken and studious, yet freaky in the bedroom. Something about that personality is stimulating to me as a black man.

I think the fact that I saw my first white woman at 12 years of age after coming to America from Guyana in South America, may have shaped my attraction.

I had never seen a white woman before growing up in Guyana. I was around black and Indian women there for the early part of my life.

For me it was definitely a case of opposites attract, after all I had never thought of white women before, since I was never exposed to them culturally prior to coming to the U.S. Moreover its in college I really started liking them, just something about my personal interests, qualities and what i like in a woman, I find them them having.

Last edited by GQ Brotha; 12-20-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM

your question and GQ Brothas respnse are well put !those uneducated think of slavery as this Conan the Barbarian muscle mass building etc When slave were brought to America they were chained below deck given very little food and water there muscles were atrophied conditions in the feilds werent much better and not exactly condusive to building 16 inch biceps and pack abds.
I once intreview an older gentlmen who was a prize fighter in the late 40's and 50's when I asked him way he thought that people of color were better boxer then whit people he replied why would a highly educated white guy had accecces to great school and college want to be a pro boxer and get his nose broke when he could go to college and become a lawyer doctor Etc and make alot more money His coment was not made sarcastically but from the heart Sports became a way of acceptance and living after slavery was abolished later it became a way to get into college and or pro sports/In the old comunist countiries it was a way out working at the tank factory out of a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 familys into a place of their own

My question is wether its domination of sports or sex I feel to say to someone who is black of course your the better the better athlete or the better Lover you got different Genes or Muscles is not olny a uneducated responce it also hurts emotionally for someone who has made so many sacrifices for the good of all

the fact is wether its on the feild on the sheets people of color work harder and should be given credit for how they do it ,Have great sex because they say and do the right things and thier lovers ,Color of skin is great contrast dress yes some taboo but As someone who grew up in the 60's It is wonderful to see people of mixed race intermixing making love
the mandingo slave breeding plantation deal is a sexaul fantasy a turn on it can be a good thing and unfortunatly maybe bad? depending on how the story is spun